A Citizen's Guide to
Board of Education Meetings
Members of the Board of Education and district administration invite and appreciate your interest in the board meetings and business of the school system. Public understanding, participation, and communication are vital to achieving our mission.
Board Member Responsibilities
The board is comprised of seven Ogden City citizens. By state constitution, the board acts as a legislative body, determining general policies for programs, care, management, and finance of the district’s public schools. These seven citizen board members hire and annually evaluate the chief administrator—the Superintendent of Schools.
The superintendent and administrative staff are responsible and accountable for execution of these policies and the overall improvement of the school system.
- Don E. Belnap, President
- Joyce Wilson, Vice President
- Douglas B. Barker, Member
- Nancy Blair, Member
- Susan Richards, Member
- Sunni Wilkinson, Member
- Jennifer Zundel, Member
- Dr. Rich K. Nye, Superintendent
- Zane Woolstenhulme, Business Admin
Addressing the Board
The purpose of a board meeting is for the board to conduct its business in public as provided by law.
- Individuals or delegations who wish to address the board concerning an item on the agenda may do so by informing the Office of the Superintendent, (801) 737-7301 of his/her desire, the topic, and any group he/she may represent by noon at least two (2) working days before the regular board meeting.
- Board meetings will be held on the first and third Thursday of the month (subject to change— check district website for updates).
- The individuals will be allowed three (3) minutes to make remarks, and a representative of a group will be allowed five (5) minutes. An extension of time may be granted by the superintendent in scheduling the presentation on the agenda, or later by the board as it hears the individual.
- Speakers may offer objective criticism of school operations and programs, but the board will not hear complaints about school personnel or other persons at the public session. Communication regarding personnel issues should be directed to the Director of Human Resources or the Office of the Superintendent, 1950 Monroe Boulevard, Ogden, Utah, 84401.
- Resolution of questions or responses to proposals should not be expected at this meeting; staff or others may be asked to research and/or prepare materials and solutions for a later time.
- The Utah Open Meeting Law prohibits the board from taking action on items that do not appear on the agenda.
- The board president will have authority to terminate the remarks of any individual who does not adhere to the above rules.
- Questions or requests for further information may be directed to the Office of the Superintendent.
- Our web site contains more information about the Ogden School District.