Continuous development, evaluation, and adaptation of primary curricular resources are necessary to meet the evolving educational needs of students. To ensure that our instructional materials are meeting the rigorous demands of our classrooms, the Office of Student Achievement seeks feedback from our educators and continuously evaluates the impact of our materials in relation to our district's vision and our core learning objectives.
In the event that the district determines a need for adopting a new text, the Director of Student Achievement will establish a diverse curriculum adoption committee comprising parents, licensed educators, administrators, and district leaders. The committee will complete a rigorous examination of curricula and make a decision based on the district textbook adoption rubric.
The Board of Education's curriculum adoption procedures protect the integrity of our commitment to excellence and ensure that instructional materials are selected in a manner which:
- Places principle above personal opinion and reason above prejudice;
- Enriches and support the curriculum taking into consideration the varied need, interests, abilities, and maturity levels of pupils served;
- Stimulates growth in factual knowledge, literary appreciation, aesthetic values and ethical standards;
- Sets forth opposing sides of controversial issues so that young citizens may develop, under guidance, the practice of critical thinking and analysis;
- Represents the many religious, ethnic, and cultural groups and their contributions to our American heritage; and,
- Shows concern for fairness toward all individuals and groups
K-6 Science Core Curriculum Adoption
During the 2021-2022 school year, Ogden School District will adopt core Science curriculum for all elementary schools (to be implemented in fall of 2022). The district’s goal in this adoption cycle is to provide up-to-date, research-based, relevant, and appropriate materials that will effectively support teaching and learning practices in our Science classrooms. To meet this goal, the district will assemble curriculum adoption committees to review available instructional materials and recommend primary resources for the Board's consideration. Committee participation is voluntary.
The adoption committees will formally meet five times from November 2021 to March 2022. Meetings will typically be held at the Ogden School District Campus from 4:00 pm to 9:00 pm. During the selection process, committee members will learn about best instructional practices, gain an understanding of the Utah Core Standards, and apply selection criteria to determine a recommended curricular resource.
Elementary Committee Members
Committee OVERSIGHT TEAM
Adam McMickell, Director of Student Achievement
Chad Carpenter, Assistant Superintendent
Heather Gerrard, Director of Personalized Pathways
Sarah Roberts, Executive Director of Instructional Leadership
Sondra Jolovich-Motes, Executive Director Equity & Access