The application window for 2021-2022 is closed. However, if you are interested in applying for the next available enrollment opportunity, please complete the application linked below and your student will be placed on a waiting list.
All applications will be reviewed and eligibility to participate in Ogden Online Elementary will be determined by a comprehensive review of the student and parent/guardian readiness to engage in online learning, previous experience in online learning and the need for a virtual learning environment. There are a limited number of openings for Ogden Online Elementary and not all applications may be accepted.
What is Ogden Online?
Ogden School District (OSD) is excited to offer our online learning program: Ogden Online. The OSD vision is Empowering Excellence Through Education and we believe education is an activity that can take place regardless of time and place. The availability of online courses will help provide flexibility for students and offer additional pathways through which they can access high-quality learning experiences.
Ogden Online focuses on the core essentials and will provide OSD students with an opportunity to seamlessly engage in distance learning for English Language Arts, Math, Science, and Social Studies.
Ogden Online courses are designed with the student in mind. Teachers prepare engaging digital coursework that not only meets the needs of the Utah Core Standards but also engages students in their learning much more than just reading and assessing online. Each Ogden Online course also ensures that a "classroom" community is developed digitally through discussions, collaboration, and experiential activities.
Is Ogden Online Right for Me?
- Are able to manage their own time while staying engaged in many working environments. (Self-Management)
- Are persistent even when tasks are difficult. (Grit and Classroom Effort)
- Have the confidence to make their own choices with moral integrity. (Self-Efficacy)
- Learn well from text, video, and digital collaboration with their peers (Learning Strategies)
- Are comfortable, with support, communicating digitally through email, Canvas, or other tools. (Communication)
Ogden Online students will still have access to the typical OSD supports including a teacher, counselor, and adviser; instructional content on Canvas; and potential interventions/extensions as deemed necessary by the teacher.
Home learning cannot perfectly mimic school learning. Therefore, parents/guardians and students should consider where their student will be engaging in online learning and if they are able to create an optimal home learning environment that promotes active engagement. Parents and students should consider the following strategies that will help create the conditions for student success.
- Designate/create a space for learning that includes room for devices/resources, has sufficient lighting, and an appropriate background for online learning
- Ensure a stable WiFi connection
- Create and maintain a predictable daily schedule
- Set clear expectations for student participation and engagement, including the elimination of distractions (e.g. turn off phones and social media)
- Develop routines that foster independence
- Integrate check-ins into their daily routine with their children
- Engage with students by asking questions about what is happening.
- Schedule open or unstructured playtime
Maintaining a commitment to learning, developing a sense of belonging, and being willing to participate in learning and extracurricular activities that are associated with positive student outcomes are the cornerstones for successful student engagement in online learning programs (Christenson et al., 2008). Ensuring active student engagement throughout the school year requires sustained dedicated effort from all stakeholders. As parents and students consider enrolling in an online program, they should consider the minimum engagement expectations necessary for student success.